Monday, August 11, 2008

Brief reviews: August 11

Like most Tad Williams books, it took me about 3 tries before I actually got rolling on Shadowmarch. However, once I did, I enjoyed it. Par for the course with Mr. Williams. I will be reading Shadowplay (Book 2) soon.

I enjoyed the final Kushiel's Legacy book, Kushiel's Mercy. It would have been easy for Jacqueline Carey to just stick with the old plot points, but she brought new ones in and I thought it was all the better for it. She also wrapped up pretty much every outstanding issue in the six books, which makes sense considering that she's said she won't write more with these characters. Yes, I did hear her say this -- last summer, I went to several author talks, and Jacqueline Carey was one of them. She said she expects to come back to Terre D'Ange about a hundred years down the line with characters unrelated to the principals. I applaud her for that, and I hope she can stick with that even if people demand more Imriel/Phedre/Sidonie/whomever.

Wolf's Blood redeemed the previous book in Jane Lindskold's series that kind of left me scratching my head a bit. Ok, things make more sense now. It feels like a nice end, and I'd be happy if she stopped telling Firekeeper's tale at that point. I'd also be happy to read more.

Victory of Eagles was excellent, but I'm afraid my eyes glazed over a bit at times because most of the book is battles. It makes sense for the series but I'm just not *that* much of a military person. As usual, I can't wait to read what Naomi Novik comes up with next.

I can't say much about The Execution Channel, plot-wise, lest I spoil it. I was spoiled (accidentally, damn you too-inclusive Amazon.com summaries) for one of the main ideas and I think it'd have been better to not be spoiled. Yes, I know I've linked to the Amazon page -- you'll just have to be careful when reading it. Nice near-future world-going-to-hell book, and a few passages at the end that made me chuckle. Ken MacLeod is an author I'd like to read more of.

No comments: