Sunday, August 31, 2008

Book Review: The Last of the Renshai / The Western Wizard

The Renshai Trilogy by Mickey Zucker Reichert
The Last of the Renshai (Book 1)
The Western Wizard (Book 2)

Rating: 4/5 (both books)
Recommended: Yes

I have been pleasantly surprised by the Renshai series thus far. Despite the fact that I've seen a couple of major plot points coming from a mile away, which I mostly chalk up to me reading a lot of fantasy. Reichert borrows shamelessly from Norse culture to create her world -- Odin created the world, Valkyries bear the spirits of warriors to Valhalla, etc. And because he's consistent in his portrayal of the world and its mythology, it works. For me, consistency and believability are two key elements of good worldbuilding. Reichert has both.

The books are long, and at times I feel myself glazing over, but generally I like the characters and the plot. Things are original enough that I can overlook the Odin bit. I got the first book completely by accident at the Goodwill in Grinnell -- it was an autographed copy that had wound up there, and I figured an autographed copy is always a good thing to have.

Despite some of the previously mentioned plot twists that I saw coming, other aspects of the book were surprising and enjoyable. Perhaps one of the most interesting parts is the discussion of forces needed in the world -- good, evil, and neutral.

If I had to pick a bad point, I'd say that it's the way time is handled in "The Western Wizard". Ten years pass in a sentence, and while I understand moving the plot along, it felt rather jarring to me.

I will probably keep going, if I can find the books. The series is somewhat older, so not too many copies are still out there.

No comments: